[sugar] Sugar Digest, Vol 22, Issue 98

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Tue Apr 29 15:17:57 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 4:36 PM, J.M. Maurer <uwog at uwog.net> wrote:

>  On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 09:26 -0700, ValS wrote:
>  > Thanks for this wonderful program!  Speaking as an XO user, I am
>  > requesting a feature that I imagine would benefit any users that have
>  > internet access.   I would like to be able to use the Write function,
>  > and then send what  I have written in an email as an attachment.  That
>  > way, I can send it to others, send it to a computer with a printer,
>  > and use the written material  in various ways, even as a book.  So is
>  > there a chance of compatibility between the Write (and other)
>  > functions and the Browse (where we can access email)?
>
>  If there is any service on the XO that can send email, then this would
>  be trivial to add to Write. Isn't there a Google SoC application this
>  year to create an an email thing based on tinymail for the XO ?

Interesting. When I read this the first time, I only considered the
approach of first opening an email interface (for instance, Gmail in
Browse) and then selecting a file from the Journal to attach to it.  I
hadn't considered wanting to send the document I'm *currently working
on* to someone else as an attachment.

One reason for this might be due to the fact that we *do* plan to add
a "send to..." option to the palette/toolbar for each activity, to
allow direct file transfers between people running Sugar.  Perhaps
there is a place in here somewhere for "mail to..." as well?  Or,
perhaps under send to it's possible to select an individual, or a
group, or an *activity* (!) which could then take some action based
upon what it was given.  By selecting an email activity, it could
generate a new draft message and automatically attach the file.

- Eben