[sugar] perceived sugar performance

Paul Fox pgf
Tue Apr 29 14:54:15 EDT 2008

michael wrote:
 > On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 02:15:54PM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
 > > michael wrote:
 > >  > Personally, I have found extensible autostart mechanisms which process
 > >  > third-party data to be more useful to trojan authors than to users so
 > >  > I'm mildly inclined to consider such mechanisms to be a misfeatures
 > >
 > > really?  i'm not sure where the "third-party" data comes into it.  i
 > > suppose with browse, maybe, but my .xsession has started two xterms on
 > > my desktop for many years, and i've never considered it a security
 > > issue.  just a time-saver.
 >
 > Depends. Any software you run can write to your .xsession, yes?
 > Afterward, will you really notice an extra instance of 'bash', or
 > 'kdmgd', or some other nonsense running in the background, capturing all
 > your keystrokes, aliasing 'sudo', running 'xauth ++', setting up a
 > spambot, or querying an IRC server for recent local root exploits?

eek!  time to retire.  ;-)

your point is well taken, but since any program i run manually
can also write to lots and lots of things that i run, or use as
config, i'm not sure why autostart makes a huge difference.  and
although i have little windows experience, i'd have to imagine
the case is much the same vis a vis the Start directory.  but
perhaps there's a distinction i'm missing.

 > >  > Also, where does hibernation fit in your taxonomy?
 > >
 > > i'd think that's pretty different -- coming out of hibernation
 > > should leave the system exactly as it was when it went in.
 > > (unless i'm misunderstanding.)
 >
 > You understood correctly. It has been previously proposed that we should
 > (more or less) always hibernate. I was curious if you had thought about
 > the resulting system.

if the system can yawn and wake up from hibernation appreciably
faster than from a cold boot, clearly that will be a Good Thing.
(for some reason this isn't noticeably the case on my current
ubuntu (gutsy) laptop.)

(this is wandering from sugar performance perceptions.)

paul