[sugar] perceived sugar performance

Paul Fox pgf
Tue Apr 29 13:42:04 EDT 2008

tomeu wrote:
 > We cannot presume that _all_ activities will be able to put a window
 > in 0.1-0.5s, and probably don't want all the activity authors to
 > implement something like that.
 >
 > I see as a good thing to improve both feedback and launch performance.

in the "time i'd have otherwise wasted is free" department, is
there currently (or planned) a mechanism to always launch
designated activities (either fixed choices, or choices based on
recent journal entries) at startup?  i.e., if i always want
Terminal and/or Read running, then it would be good if their
startup time simply added to the boot time, rather than being
felt as an additional delay before i'm productive.  i'm not a
fan of "restore session" mechanisms -- i usually want to start
from a known, fixed, state -- but it might similarly accomplish
the goal of folding actiivity startup into boot time.

(forgive me if this feature has been under my nose for some time
without me noticing it.)

paul