[sugar] Copy/Paste icon colour (Re: A Sugar TODO List, of Sorts)

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Tue Apr 22 12:56:54 EDT 2008

Digging this up from the past as I attempt to clean out my inbox...

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 7 Apr 2008, at 20:00, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>
>  >>  ? Color copy/paste buttons in activities
>  > Which colors should take? Just the local colors?
>
>  I've always been unclear about the purpose of this, and have not seen
>  an explanation ? always thought the coloured icon looked out of place
>  in the toolbar. Anyone know the reason/metaphor that makes colouring
>  it so important?

When a clipping is made, it appears in the Frame as an icon, rendered
in a specific XO color pair.  Having clippings in various colors can
help to make the clipboard a bit more engaging, and aid in identifying
the correct one in the absence of (much needed) previews.  The basic
approach to coloring would be to color the copy button in the color of
the activity it resides in, and color the paste button the color of
the currently selected clipping in the Frame.

However, the greater potential is reached when activities support it
directly.  For instance, the Record activity might turn the copy
button to the colors of the currently selected photo.  Should the
Write activity ever keep track of exactly who wrote what, it could
color the icon the colors of the person who wrote the selected block
of text. In the case of a "multiple selection", the colors would
revert back to those of the activity.  It might also be useful to
return the button to white when there is no selection at all...

- Eben