[sugar] [Server-devel] sugar roadmap

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Wed Apr 16 09:22:46 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Benj. Mako Hill <mako at mit.edu> wrote:
>  >  > On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 10:02 PM, Martin Langhoff
>
> >  > >  Personally, I have been dreaming of a mix between ion3 and Sugar's
>  >  > >  4-zoom-stages. Talking with some hard-core ion3 friends, they seemed
>  >  > >  to be convinced that it was doable as a special configuration, binding
>  >  > >  the F1-F3 keys to full screen apps, and having a nested X in F4.
>  >
>  >  Yes. This would be pretty simple. I'd be happy to help someone hack
>  >  this up. Ion3 is extensible in Lua and a little bit of Lua will get
>  >  tihs up and running pretty quickly.
>
>  The whole plan would look like
>
>   - Network-pane visual app on F1
>   - Network-local-resources+Friends visual app on F2
>   - Desktop mgmt app on F3
>   - F4 as an ion3 managed desktop

What is the goal exactly? I can only spot two real differences from
how the Sugar shell currently works:

* In Sugar F1-F3 are a single window (hinted as a
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP), which avoids to have to use a nested X
for applications.
* With this approach activities would be managed by whatever controls
ion3 provides.

Is there anything I'm missing? Is the point to be able to run desktop
applications?

Marco