[sugar] Record (was Re: VoiceThreads ... a very interesting education service)

Morgan Collett morgan.collett
Wed Apr 16 05:05:23 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 4:48 AM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
>  ** except for the (my opinion) design flaw where you can't share
>  existing recordings, only ones you record after  someone else joins a
>  shared session ? so no point taking a bunch of photos of things and
>  then clicking share ? no one sees anything. For a test, a while back,
>  I set up a Record session, named it 'View out your window', took a
>  couple of photos, and turned sharing on. A bunch of folks joined over
>  an hour or so and left photos of their view, but they couldn't see my
>  photos, and I could only see a thumbnail of their photos (gave a
>  network time-out error if I tried to click a thumb). Still a
>  fascinating exercise even if it didn't quite go to plan (showed the
>  potential).

Record sends the thumbnails as people take photos, and only transfers
the full photo when you click on it. That assumes the XO with that
photo is still around - or that someone else in the shared session has
obtained that photo from the sharer. I've logged #6896 about improving
this.

I've logged #6897 about joiners getting existing content in the
session. I think it depends on #4497, which is a redesign of the
collaboration in Record.

>  *** If you could resume a pre-recorded Record activity *AND* then
>  share it out, it could be a good way to do photo journal type homework
>  or research. Perhaps needs a better playback mode (text notes and
>  images shown at once; ability to reorder the items in the bottom pane;
>  ability to take a photo, then record audio associated with it).

Feel free to express your opinions in Trac :)

>  Maybe if Journal item sharing arrives as some point, this will be a
>  practical way of generating and sharing similar content.

Yes - although that's more transfer of content than collaborating
together in the activity (as I understand it).

Morgan