[sugar] GOSC Mesh Visualization Mock-ups

Kevin Cole kevin.cole
Mon Apr 14 12:25:00 EDT 2008

> This is Justin Tanner, I'm working on a proposal for the Google
> summer of code, to create different mesh network visualization
> schemes, here are some mock-ups I've created to brainstorm some ideas.

Interesting stuff.

> This next visualization is called "Planet Activity". The goal was to
> create a mesh visualization similar tot the OLPC neighborhood, but
> with space-like theme.
>
> http://www.jwtanner.com/images/svg/planet1.svg
>
> In this picture, the planets represent activities, the more popular
> the activity, the bigger the planet. If a user has not joined a group
> activity, he/she sits on an asteroid.

The others I find interesting.  However, I think rotating the figures
(particularly the 45 degree rotation) makes for a confusing image.  When the
XO person icon  is upright, it's reasonably clear what it is.  Rotated 45
degrees, it sort of looks like addition (plus) with something in a corner.
Rotating 90 degrees suggested multiplication to me.   While one could easily
get used to it, the Planet Activity display didn't win me over.  On a
similar note, do the people really need to tumble down the ski slope, or do
you think it's too boring to have them remain upright?

The Leapfrog display worked best for me...