[sugar] Pippy and Calculate

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki
Tue Sep 4 19:53:19 EDT 2007

  Hello,

  Now, we have Pippy.  Into Pippy, the user can type simple
expressions with some mathematical functions there and execute the
expression.  This means that there is large overlap between it and
Calculate.  Since Calculate is overly under-developed and it has very
complicated interface, we can now think that we have an option to
remove it from the build without causing too much grief.

  Imagine if Pippy has a button called "Print!", which would be
located right next to the "Run!"  button.  And, if "Print!" prints out
the results of running the program into the bottom pane, that is
pretty much all we need.  (For the record, the workspace in Etoys has
been there from day one for this purpose.)

  Some small input assistance may be a plus but having the software
keyboard for numbers is not a good idea anyway.

  We have a real problem of shortage of man-power, so replacing
smaller activities that take more time to maintain and document with
more powerful ones is probably a good thing.

  What do you think?

-- Yoshiki