[sugar] ip4-address buddy property - still needed?

Giannis Galanis galanis
Fri Oct 26 13:09:41 EDT 2007

Several parts for your replies refer to issues we have discussed before.
The tickets 4463,4405,4404,4403 include the new requirements and
enhancements for the presence service, in benefit of user+developer

To summarize

1. User+devel should be able to switch between gabble to salut manually
using the options: auto,salut,gabble (4403)

2. User+devel should be able to connect/disconnect to one (or many, in the
future) jabber server (4463)

3. User+devel should have access to public+private IP (4405)

There are several reasons for each one of these. Now, if you observe them
combined, the importance of IP information is:

user's prespective: assume for example 60 XOs are connected to a public
jabber server(e.g. jabber.laptop.org). Five of these belong to the same
school. They should be able to filter themselves.

devel's perspective:
1. From 1 XO we can test intantly which XO's are connected in a specific
configuration
2. IPs give irreplaceable information regarding whether the XO is connected
to MPP, AP, schoolserver, NAT etc
3.(very important). when an XO is connected is connected to an MPP, we need
to now the name of it. The buddy list links IP with name
and many more

regarding the privacy issue of giving away the IP, regarding that all p2p or
IM offer this capability , it shouldnt be an issue,

yani