[sugar] Journal integration design for Measure Activity

Antoine van Gelder hummingbird
Mon Oct 22 15:12:19 EDT 2007

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> I think that "saving by default" needs to be accompanied by "resuming
> by default". That is, the activity button in the frame should resume
> the most recent instance of an activity (which also implies that it
> would switch between running instances). Creating a new instance of
> an activity should be the exceptional action - it could be
> accomplished by an entry in the activity icon rollover, and possibly
> an icon in the activity toolbar itself.
>
> As long as the frame is the primary way of starting activities (and I
> guess everybody agrees it actually is), this would reinforce the idea
> of "resuming" over "application starting".

The JokeMachine activity is a good example of an activity where 'resume'
by default makes sense.

In this activity children can enter and read jokes in a list of various
joke books (Knock Knock Jokes, Riddles, Cheese? etc.)

Should they exit the activity and start it up again the
NaturalThingToExpect(tm) is to see your joke books in the state you last
left them, rather than a blank slate which you must populate with new
joke books.

  - a