[sugar] How to handle application protocols

Ryan Pavlik abiryan
Wed Oct 10 09:18:37 EDT 2007

Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 00:01 +0200, J.M. Maurer wrote:

>>> I think the c++ component (libabiword) is currently installed in the system.
>>>
>> Exactly; libabiword is not part of the Write bundle. We could do that
>> ofcourse, but then other applications can't benefit from the libabiword
>> code (such as a Develop activity for example).
>>
>> I suspect more activities depend on code not in the bundle (browse,
>> etoys?)
>>

> What if we ship libabiword as part of the system (rpm) but .xo bundles
> provide their own abiword plugins? AbiCollab is implemented as a plugin,
> right?
>
> Alternatively, things could work as today (rpms for libabiword and
> libabiword-plugins), but bundles can provide their own plugins that can
> override the system-wide plugins?
>
> Is this feasible?
>
> Tomeu

My understanding was that the reason AbiWord was selected as a widget
for things outside of Write was specifically for AbiCollab, so I'm not
sure what the first option would gain us.

Maybe the second?  Marc will answer this better.

--
Ryan Pavlik
AbiWord Win32 Platform Maintainer, Art Lead: www.abisource.com

"Optimism is the father that leads to achievement."
 -- Helen Keller

"The folder structure in a modern Linux distribution such as Ubuntu
was largely inspired by the original UNIX foundations that were
created by men with large beards and sensible jumpers."
 -- Jono Bacon, The Ubuntu Guide