[sugar] Bitfrost compliance for Update.1

Michael Stone michael
Mon Nov 5 12:28:19 EST 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 02:54:23PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> >"tmp" is transient and "conf" and "data" are persistent.
>
> What's the difference between data and conf then?

The difference concerns how configuration data from old versions of an
activity are handled.

The 'data' dir is per-activity-version.

The conf dir is also per-activity-version but, the first time you launch
a new version [and only the first time, if we can engineer it], the
conf-dir for the new version will contain a read-only copy of a previous
version's conf data for you to scan, if you wish.

The old data will likely be presented as the directory

  $SUGAR_ACTIVITY_ROOT/conf/old

Some slightly dated notes that will be brought up to date shortly are
available at

  http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/krstic/installer;f=README.updates;hb=HEAD;

[Some people, notably _sj_ have suggested that we should make all old
configuration data available, read-only, on every activity launch. The
motivation for Ivan's proposed scheme, as I understand it, is to protect
the use from activities which crash when reading old config data by only
showing them such data once].

Next question, please?  :)

Michael