[sugar] wireless network access in the new build.

Dan Williams dcbw
Fri Mar 30 15:20:16 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 09:05 -0700, MBurns wrote:
> On 3/30/07, Ashlesha Shintre <ashlesha.shintre at gmail.com> wrote:
> > right, but I can only see one triangle, which i m assuming represents
> > the laptop itself --
>
> No, triangles are only actual APs. Laptops are represented by the XO
> 'stickfigure' icon. If there are no other laptops within range, an XO
> will not show up on your neighborhood view. That is to say, you
> yourself will not show up on your own neighborhood view.

Technically you should show up in your own Mesh/Neighborhood view.  If
not, it's a bug; but avahi+multicast+wireless is somewhat unreliable at
times.

> > also connected both the OLPC laptops -- but they dont seem to detect
> > each other..
>
> They *should* discover each other if they both connect to the same and
> are on the same subnet. You can make them mesh together by:
> 1. putting the two laptops into ad-hoc mode.
> 2. assign a random SSID to each laptop (does not have to be the same)
> 3. assign an IP address of the same network to both laptops
> (192.168.1.x / 255.255.255.0)

We've turned on automatic meshing in build 362 and later.  If you have a
running mesh portal it will find that and use it for access, and if not
will fall back to waiting for the user to select an AP from the mesh
view.

> > one does not even show a single triangle...
>
> *shrug* ... Don't know what is going on there.
>
> > m playing around with it to see if there s something wrong with the
> > way it has been configured on the drexel network
>
> Best of luck!

Dan