[sugar] What does "undo" look like?

Ka-Ping Yee laptop
Mon Mar 26 17:52:56 EDT 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Gervase Markham wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > On 3/25/07, Ka-Ping Yee <laptop at zesty.ca> wrote:
> >> It occurred to me that the XO needs a standard icon for "undo", but
> >> it can't be a leftward-hopping arrow because that doesn't make the
> >> same sense for LTR and RTL writing systems.
> >
> > Why not? The keyboard will be localized for each country. (Or so I've
> > heard.)
>
> I think he means on the screen.

I think Guido meant, "If the keyboard keys can be localized, why not
the icons on the screen as well?"  (Just guessing here.)

It's not inconceivable to do such a thing; I just think it might be
confusing.  For the sake of discussing and educating people about the
UI, it's probably better if there is a consistent icon for Undo.
(I'm thinking of screenshots, user guides, etc. talking about how to
use the laptop.)

One solution would be to never display a screen icon for Undo, and
simply have a key on the keyboard that says "Undo" in the localized
language -- but I am under the impression (someone confirm?) that
at this point it's too late to change the keyboard layout and keycaps.

-- ?!ng