[sugar] Development environment for newcomers

Gonzalo Delgado gonzalo
Fri Mar 23 18:18:26 EDT 2007

2007/3/16, drew einhorn <drew.einhorn at gmail.com>:
> Boy, was I barking up the wrong tree in the last message.
> Think I've found the right tree this time.  :-)
>
> See:
>
>     http://www.linux-live.org/
>
> Needs some embellishments for our purposes.
>
> Let's recap the scenario.
>
> Assume we are out making a presentation,
>
> introducing OLPC to folks who have maybe read
> some articles about it, maybe not.
>
> We arehoping to recruit them as developers.
>
> We have an hour or so.
>
> For some hands on experience
>  We have asked them to bring
>      their laptops,
>      and a usb flash drive
>
> We don't have time for any complicated installation, and they have
> a random assortment of hardware, and operating systems.
>
> Most of them have environments that are difficult, if not nearly
> impossible to work with.
>
> In case they don't have enough free disk
>  space, or there is some other problem installing
> an image on their hard drive
>
> we bring a plain vanilla sever with a
> open shared network readonly filesystem.
>
> In case of difficulty with their usb drive, or if
> they just forgot it.
>
> We have available
> 1 GB usb flash $20-$30 from a reputable source
> they can borrow or purchase.
>
> We give them LiveCd/Dvd
>     / is a unionfs of
>         rw filesystem on usbdrive
>         ro Mike's image ported to FC6, or
>             just about any OS image for that matter
>             but we don't care about that.
>
> Mikes image might fit on compressed LiveDvd
> but won't fit on LiveCd
>
> faster access to bigger images
> from readonly filesystem
>      on harddrive, or
>      network drive,
>
> readonly
>       last I heard linux did not reliably write to nfts
>       we just don't want to risk it even with the
>       ntfs-ng driver.   Some of the users may have
>      extra fragile filesystem on odd vintage os.
>
> Image on local file system
> for performance and independence
>
> Image can be network filesystem
> if necessary.
>
> After they go home they can
> solve the problems that required
> them to use the network filesystem
>
> cryptographic signature verifies validity of image will verify
> lack of subtle problems case insensitive filenames,
> corrupted files, etc.  if it's a PKI signature it fits the
> security model.
>
> --
> Drew Einhorn

 We, at Tuquito OLPC Project, are working on a Sugar Developer's
Tuquito LiveCD which will feature most of the characteristics you
mention. It will soon be released, you can contact me or Mauro Torres
( mauro[at]tuquito.org.ar ) if you are interested.

 Regards.

--
Gonzalo Delgado.
Equipo de desarrollo Tuquito OLPC.