[sugar] Process for updating/adding components.

Jim Gettys jg
Tue Mar 20 17:56:06 EDT 2007

Updating
--------
J5 would like each request to update a component to be a new, separate
bug. Since he's the one doing the important work, please do it that way.
When he's done adding it to a build, he'll close the bug.

New components
--------------
If you want to propose something new be added to the OLPC distribution,
please open a bug in track, select the "new component" component, and
make your case.

Note that you also need to do homework:
o we need to know what dependencies your request introduces, and what
size they are. Suggestions and work to save equivalent amounts of space
in the base distribution will get you many brownie points, kudo's, and
make it more likely to be able to add what you think is valuable.
o please indicate if this is a temporary or permanent addition;
sometimes we'll be adding components that we plan to remove later.

Coming sometime pretty soon
---------------------------
A repository where people can upload stuff for optional use.  But we're
not ready yet.

Note that at the moment, I'd like to enforce a rule that any new
components be proposed at least 2 weeks before a release (our next
release is Trial-1, due next Friday), and that the package/activity be
available for J5 to integrate *at least* a week before the release.
Exceptions to this rule, please contact me, but don't expect a warm
reception.  We need some time to make the call about whether to include
something new, J5 needs time to get the new component into the build,
and you need time to test and make critical bug fixes....

Thank you all for your great help!
                                 - Jim

--
Jim Gettys