[sugar] setup.py

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg
Tue Mar 20 11:46:17 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 11:01 -0400, Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
> So I see the file "setup.py" in some of these activities.
>
> When does one run setup.py?  It's what creates an actual .xo file, yes?

Mainly.

[marco at localhost chat-activity]$ ./setup.py
Usage:
setup.py dev                 - setup for development
setup.py dist                - create a bundle package
setup.py install   [dirname] - install the bundle
setup.py uninstall [dirname] - uninstall the bundle
setup.py clean               - clean the directory
setup.py help                - print this message

> When is that done?  Is it a just-in-time sort of thing, where a kid says
> "hey, you're running BlockParty, gimme that activity," and the source
> system says "okey doke, lemme run setup.py, got an .xo file, here ya go"?

Well the final user story should me more like:

1 John hack BlockParty using the Develop activity.
2 John share it on the network
3 Greg see the activity and want to join it
4 Greg fetch the activity from John (automatically)
5 Greg and John plays

No setup.py involved there...

Right now it's more like:

1 John hack Blockparty.
2 John run setup.py dist
3 John put the .xo somewhere on the web
4 Greg download Blockparty from there.

I think generating a .xo will continue to be useful in the future. And
maybe we will still need a way to do it from the command line, but the
main way to do should be Develop.

Marco