[sugar] Loading new apps^Wactivities on XO

Bert Freudenberg bert
Tue Mar 20 04:36:46 EDT 2007

On Mar 20, 2007, at 2:46 , Guido van Rossum wrote:

> On 3/19/07, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 17:15 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> > Suppose I'm hacking the Develop activity on my Ubuntu dapper
>> desktop.
>> > At some point I'd like to see how it runs on the XO. How do I build
>> > something that will run there? How do I transfer it? Is there a
>> wiki
>> > page about this?
>>
>> You package the activity in .xo format and unzip it
>> in /usr/share/activities.  Then reboot (quick hack) and Sugar
>> should see
>> it.

I'd rather unpack in ~/Activities. Also, there is no need to make
a .xo, just use your favorite means of creating a directory.

To restart Sugar, I just log in as root and "killall X". It's
restarted after a few seconds.

>> .xos are sort of like JARs with additional metadata, some
>> localization
>> capabilitiy, and should eventually be able to be signed like JARs.
>
> Oh cool. Is the format described somewhere?

It's just a zip of your activity bundle directory renamed to "*.xo"

> Also, what's the typical way of moving code to an XO from a regular
> Linux box? scp? USB key? Or what?

When I'm doing a lot of testing I mount the XO with sshfs. Otherwise,
scp.

- Bert -