[sugar] ImportError: No module named wnck

Ivan Krstić krstic
Tue Mar 13 22:22:26 EDT 2007

Edward Cherlin wrote:
> Doesn't work for me. I don't suppose that that should be
> python-gnome2-desktop-dev.

No, it shouldn't:

>>> wnck
<module 'wnck' from '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/wnck.so'>

krstic at aeryn:~> dpkg -S /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/wnck.so
python-gnome2-desktop: /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/wnck.so

But I keep forgetting people are on older versions; this is Feisty. I'll
set up a Dapper chroot later tonight and see what's needed there.

> Looking inside, I see /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/wnck.so
> and the like, but the OLPC instructions say to install python 2.5,
> which I have done. Well, that could explain a lot. [sigh]

On Feisty, python-gnome2-desktop provides the files for both Python 2.4
and 2.5, so you might be able to try symlinking the files to your Python
2.5 tree, or you could wait for me to try it and give definitive
instructions.

--
Ivan Krsti? <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D