[sugar] Stirring the pot (was re: Education?)

Antoine van Gelder hummingbird
Mon Mar 12 16:52:09 EDT 2007

Awesome.

Whole bunch of folk are starting to come out of the woodwork who have
been thinking for some time about fundamental abstractions.

I read the most excellent Dr Kay's stupendous essay @
http://www.vpri.org/pdf/human_condition.pdf this morning and thought
that the philosophical discussion could perhaps be dragged on a little
in an attempt to raise the bar of what we believe to be possible so I'm
going to hijack a metaphor, pour a glass of red wine and riff a little
on some of the themes he brings up.

Two things when we put kids first: [1]

1) Transmitting the maps of reality we have created.

2) Transmitting the art of map making.

With the objective of 1) we can fudge it as much as we like and
BigBoxes'o'OpaqueSpaghetti(tm) are not really that big a obstacle.

With the additional objective of 2) we must strive to not only deliver
tools that are able to build maps up from the most fundamental elements
in order that kids are free to construct and deconstruct at leisure but
these tools must also be capable of building new map making tools.

In the endless quest for clarity, allow me to restate the above in
slightly different words:

a. Kids have, at most, two decades between the start of their
educational journey and deciding on their life's work. They absolutely
cannot afford to go down every blind alley explored over the last 2.5K
years. This requires a tool that makes it easy to create maps that cover
broad swathes of the curriculum.

b. If kids don't understand our maps on a fundamental level those maps
are going to be navigating them instead of them navigating the maps.
This requires a tool that can render maps of reality at any level of detail.

c. A very small, but _immensely_ important, percentage of kids are going
to be drawing their own maps... This requires a mapping tool that can be
used to extend  its own abilities as well as create entirely new mapping
tools.

Okay, we're on to three things.

Now, just because I had a really intensely bad encounter with a
stupendously rude
CorporateBeemerDrivingWannabeSoftwareDevelopmentManager today and the
Gentoo developers are flaming each other again I want to first
pro-actively bomb the CollectivelyBarelyConscious and make a bit of
SacredBeefBurger by pointing out that the device I'm describing is
called a Turing Machine and it has already been discovered by a man who
chose to end his life rather than continuing to put up with bearing the
brunt of hysterical&religious superstition from a society whose
collective ass he helped saved in WWII so please - this is not about
TribalIdeology or DiscovererBrowniePoints or ImplementationPlatforms but
rather an attempt to encourage the adding of some more veggies to the
collective pot.

*phew*

Sorry - had to get that off my chest. My laptop's hostname is Turing.
It's a Touring Machine. *kachink* [2]

Back to the pot.

I don't think the state of the art (hardware&software) is yet at the
point where XO can deliver the Dynabook (OK, someone had to say it) and
it probably won't even be SqueakAsPlatform BUT it _does_ deliver:

1) A Turing Machine implemented on top of a Von Neumann architecture
with a rather frighteningly large amount of RAM compared to my beloved
Commodore 64.

2) A complete course in classical operating system design in the form of
its source code.

3) A powerful platform for building interactive simulations courtesy of
X, Cairo and Python that I would have given a body part for when I was a
kid.

4) An innovative and easy to learn primary user interface in the form of
Sugar.

5) A complete development environment in the form of Develop, GCC,
JavaScript, Python etc.

6) A window on an entire universe of education in the form of Evince,
Mozilla, PenguinTV, Chat etc.

7) Mapping tools on a par with anything which is not still in research
phase in the form of Abiword, eToys, Wiki, TamTam etc.

Wow. Just wow. Thank you. Everyone.

But this brings me to a metric because Dr Kay mentioned the Science word
and if you can't measure it, it ain't Science; it's Economics.

So what's the difference between the XO and its successors ?

I posit that the difference is learning complexity.

A bright kid orientated towards computers and starting from scratch
would probably take around five years[3] to truly master the XO
environment from top to bottom and be able to do RealWork[4] on it. This
is 25% of the time alotted to hem before they must decide on their
life's work.

So my questions, in order of temporal importance, are:

1) What problems solved and what features added NOW would _increase_ the
payback of that time investment ?

2) What can be done NOW to _decrease_ the duration of that time investment ?

3) Once the entire system fits into 20 000 lines of code... what is the
next important metric ?

Thank you for the space for a rant.

Be excellent to one another.

  - antoine

[1] Good grief please don't tell me any sincere person has doubts about
this project. - given a choice between a $150 XO or a ~$1000 AK-47...
(http://www.impactguns.com/store/arsenal.html - actually I'm cheating on
the numbers - you can pick up a used one for around $100 in my neck of
the woods, cheaper the further north you go)

[2] With apologies to Andrew Roos.

[3] Feel free to slam that figure. It's a thumbsuck. Someone with more
free time and resources than I can go study it and get the real number!

[4] RealScience, RealArt, RealSports, RealCoding. Being able to jam with
a peer in any country in the world.