[sugar] Development environment for newcomers

Ivan Krstić krstic
Mon Mar 12 00:23:34 EDT 2007

Ian Bicking wrote:
> It would also be helpful if the image could mount a network drive (from
> the host) over the image's own drive, thus allowing the host system to
> edit an file, and also revert those changes fairly simply.  I think(?)
> that Bitfrost involves this same sort of overlay, so maybe the
> functionality is already there in the images?  (Or due soon)

Yes, Bitfrost gives you a full overlay ability via a Copy-on-Write
mechanism, and the support for this should land in our kernels within a
few weeks. Do note, however, that we are very fussy about bundles being
their own little isolated worlds, so you shouldn't ever have a good
reason to change underlying OS files if you're just developing
activities -- because you're not going to be _able_ to change them come
production time.

--
Ivan Krsti? <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D