[sugar] Trying to build sugar on ubuntu dapper

Edward Cherlin echerlin
Tue Mar 6 22:59:58 EST 2007

I'm trying to build sugar on Debian Testing, and getting similar results.

On 3/6/07, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:

> Have you tried running "sugar-jhbuild build base"?

Yes. also ./sugar-jhbuild sanitycheck

Missing external dependencies:

gstreamer-0.10 0.10
gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10 0.10
fribidi
libgsf-1
enchant
nspr
gconf-2.0

Install the packages from your distribution which provides these
functionalities, including the development package for libraries.
Missing dependencies:

    python (headers)
    avahi (python module)
    rsvg (python module)
    wnck (python module)
    glib-2.0 2.12
    gtk+-2.0 2.10
    pygtk-2.0 2.10
    pycairo 1.2
    dbus-1 1.0
    xulrunner/firefox 1.8/1.9

Install the packages from your distribution which provides these
functionalities, including the development package for libraries.
If one or more of the packages (and versions) are not provided by your
distribution you can build them from sources, using this command:
    sugar-jhbuild build-base

Many of these packages do not occur with these names in the Debian
repositories I have tried. For example, i have various libgtk packages
installed, but there is none called gtk+. Similarly with libglib,
libavahi-glib, libfribidi0, python-pyfribidi, and the rest. So I don't
know whether any of these are what is required, nor how to get them to
work. Is any of this in Unstable?

> Actually, the steps I use for FC6 may work for Ubuntu:
>
> http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/02/23/building-the-xo-introducing-sugar/

I'll giive it a try.
> --g
>
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> > Is there anyone available to help me get started building Sugar on
> > ubuntu dapper? So far I haven't been able to manage to "sudo apt-get
> > install python-avahi"; if I try this, I always get "E: Couldn't find
> > package python-avahi". All other packages from
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_on_Ubuntu_Linux installed okay (after
> > messing with /etc/apt/sources.list; I don't really know what this is,
> > but pasting output from the source-o-matic in the front made other
> > problems go away).
> >
> > If I ignore this, running ./sugar-jhbuild after the git-clone command
> > gives me this:
> >
> > """
> > Checking dependencies...
> > Missing dependencies:
> >
> >   avahi (python module)
> >   rsvg (python module)
> >   wnck (python module)
> >   glib-2.0 2.12
> >   gtk+-2.0 2.10
> >   pygtk-2.0 2.10
> >   pycairo 1.2
> >   dbus-1 1.0
> >   dbus-python 0.80
> >
> > Install the packages from your distribution which provides these
> > functionalities, including the development package for libraries.
> > If one or more of the packages (and versions) are not provided by your
> > distribution you can build them from sources, using this command:
> >   sugar-jhbuild build-base
> > """
> >
> > Following the advice in that message and running the latter command
> > fails building many packages including fontconfig, hence cairo, and
> > many others. Details at request; I'll happily take this offline but
> > I've got to start somewhere...

Edward Cherlin
http://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=82712
Earth Treasury End Poverty at a Profit