[sugar] Trying to build sugar on ubuntu dapper

Guido van Rossum guido
Tue Mar 6 18:27:10 EST 2007

Is there anyone available to help me get started building Sugar on
ubuntu dapper? So far I haven't been able to manage to "sudo apt-get
install python-avahi"; if I try this, I always get "E: Couldn't find
package python-avahi". All other packages from
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_on_Ubuntu_Linux installed okay (after
messing with /etc/apt/sources.list; I don't really know what this is,
but pasting output from the source-o-matic in the front made other
problems go away).

If I ignore this, running ./sugar-jhbuild after the git-clone command
gives me this:

"""
Checking dependencies...
Missing dependencies:

    avahi (python module)
    rsvg (python module)
    wnck (python module)
    glib-2.0 2.12
    gtk+-2.0 2.10
    pygtk-2.0 2.10
    pycairo 1.2
    dbus-1 1.0
    dbus-python 0.80

Install the packages from your distribution which provides these
functionalities, including the development package for libraries.
If one or more of the packages (and versions) are not provided by your
distribution you can build them from sources, using this command:
    sugar-jhbuild build-base
"""

Following the advice in that message and running the latter command
fails building many packages including fontconfig, hence cairo, and
many others. Details at request; I'll happily take this offline but
I've got to start somewhere...