[sugar] Re: trial1 software page

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg
Tue Mar 6 16:27:33 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:31 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 16:09 +0100, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I went over the trial1 plan with both Eben and Tomeu and I put together
> > a TODO list for Sugar on the base of their feedback.
> >
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Trial1_TODO
> >
> > There are two big high level decisions that we need to make:
> >
> > 1 Use the journal prototype we have developed or a file based model.
> > 2 Try to integrate the new presence service Dan and Collabora are
> > working on, and base a simple chat on it.
>
> I'm not so sure; we'll know in a few days (definitely by next week)
> whether or not we can hit a March 20th target.  The _structure_ hasn't
> changed much, so stuff in Sugar like the mesh and friends pages won't
> have to change much.  What will have to change is anything that uses the
> current sugar.p2p code, but that's only _2_ bits of code: Web and Chat.

The Sugar UI has not been tested in ages. The backend has been
rewritten. We have only two weeks to get it working well. We don't even
have a prototype of the chat (what we ship now doesn't really count).

I strongly feel we should not be trying to integrate the new presence
service. I'd feel much more comfortable integrating the journal if we
have to make a choice. It's less complex and we already have a working
prototype.

We need to try to make the less changes is possible and then completely
focus on stabilizing. Getting something that is solid enough to be
actually used by people (rather than demoed) takes a *lot* of time.

Marco