[sugar] server side

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff
Tue Mar 6 05:49:48 EST 2007

On 3/2/07, MBurns <maburns at gmail.com> wrote:
> As mentioned in the February 17th Community News letter [1]:
>
> >7. School server: John Watlington is joining OLPC to head our School
> >Server project; he will also be helping out on completing the
> >Generation-1 system until a hardware architect can be found.

Oh! Great news! I've been monitoring sugar-dev and olpc-dev for
discussion on the server too. Jim said discussion would happen around
here...

(damn! I see discussion is taking place in the wiki - heh, I'll have
to somehow track that...)

> > Also, what is likely to be the web server used?  Is Apache too big (I presume)?
>
> School server development is *just now* beginning to ramp up, and so
> such things are still in the air. I wouldn't be surprised if a
> non-apache server was used (something in python, or just lighterweight
> in general), but the server would be sufficiently powerful to run
> Apache if they want its featureset.

I am not too fussed about apache, but probably having a more complete
packaging system (IOWs leave the rpm database there, and provide means
for package installation), and probably supporting non-python
software.

I am coming from the Moodle (and other web-based learning tools) POV.
Sadly, the range of existing software in this area in python is poor,
most of the interesting activity is in the PHP space.

cheers,.

martin