[sugar] pygtk's ".defs" files, and wrapping interfaces for python extensions

Don Hopkins dhopkins
Mon Mar 5 05:45:53 EST 2007

Very interesting -- I'll read more about the pygtk codegen stuff. Thanks
for the pointers!

I tried to make my own project by copying the pycairo directory and
using it as a template, but that has hand-written Python interfaces
instead of using pygtk codegen, and the gnu automake configuration stuff
is being difficult and making my brain hurt.

I took a look at the hippo canvas stuff, and it looks very nifty, and I
think that might be a good way to integrate the Poppler PDF library with
Cairo.

I think I could just make a canvas object like the hippo image object,
that reads from PDF files instead, and calls Poppler to render into the
Cairo context.
Maybe I could just add it to the hippo project without making my own
project, and use the canvas image object as an example of how to wrap
the interface.
Hippo canvas uses the pygtk codegen to generate the interfaces, so
that's a point in its favor.

Is the hippo canvas code set up to be extend with separate projects, or
is it easiest to just add new canvas components to the hippo project
itself?
I guess it would be easier for me to just add some new stuff to an
existing project, that way I could avoid messing with the configuration
stuff.

So is Hippo the cat's meow, and does Poppler taste like chicken? (Sorry
to mix animal metaphores...)

Thanks for the help!

    -Don