[sugar] trouble installing Sugar on Ubuntu

Ryan Pavlik abiryan
Sun Mar 4 22:37:08 EST 2007

Ashlesha Shintre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I m trying to install the Sugar development environment on my laptop
> which has Ubuntu6.10 installed on it.  Upon issuing the command:
>
> <mailto:sugar at laptop.org>sudo apt-get install build-essential cvs
> docbook-utils subversion libgtk2.0-dev libidl-dev    gnome-common
> gtk-doc-tools libxt-dev automake1.7 automake1.8 automake1.9
> python-gtk2-dev    python-avahi git-core cogito python-dev
> avahi-utils    libgconf2-dev xserver-xephyr libgnome2-dev
> libmatchbox-dev python-cairo-dev    libtiff4-dev python-gnome2-dev
> libxdamage-dev libxdamage1 libxcomposite-dev    libgnomeui-dev libtool
> libfribidi-dev libgsf-1-dev libbz2-dev libwmf-dev
> libgstreamer0.10-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev
> libgnomeprintui2.2-dev    libenchant-dev libnspr-dev darcs libxslt1.1
> libxslt1-dev firefox firefox-dev    libasound2-dev
>
> as given on the http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_on_Ubuntu_Linux
> website, I get a message, the last part of which I have pasted here:
>

> Get:21 http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/universe
> xserver-xephyr 1: 1.1.1-0ubuntu12.1 [1499kB]
> Media change: please insert the disc labeled
>  'Ubuntu 6.10 _Edgy Eft_ - Release i386 (20061025)'
> in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter
>
> I have enabled the Universe and Multiuniverse repositories on my machine.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Ashlesha Shintre.

Either do what it says (insert the Edgy Eft CD) or remove the CD-ROM
line from your /etc/apt/sources.list and run apt-get update which will
force it to look online for the packages.

--
Ryan Pavlik
AbiWord Win32 Platform Maintainer, Art Lead: www.abisource.com

"Optimism is the father that leads to achievement."
 -- Helen Keller

"The folder structure in a modern Linux distribution such as Ubuntu
was largely inspired by the original UNIX foundations that were
created by men with large beards and sensible jumpers."
 -- Jono Bacon, The Ubuntu Guide