[sugar] Pygame?

Mikael Kindborg mikael.kindborg
Sat Mar 3 17:02:10 EST 2007

On 3/3/07, Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpg at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 20:47 +0000, Chris Ball wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > SJ is looking for a livecd to give to game developers to encourage them
> > to write OLPC games.  The normal livecd build plus Develop is probably
> > good enough to get people started changing python code, but then we have
> > to wonder about how the games would actually be written.  Has anyone
> > tested pygame?  Do we think that pygame games can be sugarized?
>
> Some info here:
>
> http://www.pygame.org/wiki/gui?parent=index
>
> Mainly:
>
> "
> First of all, pygame relies on the SDL, which means that it can only
> have one window at a time.
> "
>
> I don't know SDL, so I don't know what it would take to change that
> fact.
>
> Marco

Yes, PyGame/SLD is mainly for fullscreen games, and even though you
can run SDL in an OS-window, you are elimited to one Window (that
cannot be dynamically resized, not in an easy way anyhow). If you want
multiple Windows in a PyGame/SDL app you have to do that yourself
inside the SDL world (there are several libraries for this). It is a
bit like Squeak (but Squeak now has support for multiple OS-windows).
There are tricks for setting the rendering surface of SDL to an
arbitrary OS-window, but this seems to be unsupported.

For games that use one screen PyGame is great. Another option is to
write an easy to use game lib for GTK, possibly port the PyGame API.

Best regards Micke

(I work with Squeak and software for children at Link?ping University
and lurk on this list.)