[sugar] Using Git / downloading activities and Memory problems

Ivan Krstić krstic
Fri Jun 22 14:28:04 EDT 2007

Hi Aneto,

Aneto Okonkwo wrote:
> I have been having difficulty installing git on windows.  Does anyone
> have any instructions I can use to download and set it up?

Git still relies on a mudball of shell and Perl scripts, so getting it
running under Windows proper is an uphill battle. The recommended way to
do it is to first set up Cygwin, which might be more trouble than you're
willing to go through. Even then, it'll run quite slowly because of
certain FS ops being substantially slower on Windows than on Linux.

> Alternatively is there anyway to use git on the olpc itself, does anyone
> have those instructions?

As root, 'yum install git-core' should do it.

> are preloading an array of 26 images ~32K each and this crashes on the
> olpc.

Please provide more details. Memory allocation shouldn't *crash* the
machine under any (reasonable set of) circumstances; the OOM killer
might kick in and destroy a few processes, however. In your case, you're
allocating less than a meg, so something is certainly wrong if it's
crashing. What kind of crash are you getting? Can you post the code and
the images somewhere where we can test this?

--
Ivan Krsti? <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D