[sugar] olpc-games osc protocol

Bert Freudenberg bert
Mon Jun 11 08:07:13 EDT 2007

On Jun 11, 2007, at 13:06 , Simon Schamijer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> memosono is using the osc protocol
> (http://opensoundcontrol.org/spec-1_0) to communicate with the game
> server and to talk to the csound server.

Which game server? I thought osc is about sound?

> I think it is an easy to use
> protocol and maybe some other games or activities want to use it as
> well.

Does that mean an osc server will be running? Or does it have to be
started by each activity?

> An osc message consists of an OSC address pattern (a path) followed by
> an OSC type tag string followed by zero or more OSC arguments.
>
> '/MEMOSONO/test', 'ifs', [1, 3.4, 'test']
>
> osc is callback based. On the receiver side the osc path and the type
> tag is used to dispatch the right callback.
>
> A python implementation of the osc protocol and a basic api for
> receiving and sending osc messages can be found in the memosono
> tree in
> the osc folder. There exist python bindings for the osc library
> liblo as
> well (http://das.nasophon.de/pyliblo/).

There is an OSC package for Squeak at

http://map.squeak.org/package/61f807be-83a3-4944-bfa1-686ddac7153c

Now, to try that I would need to have csound (and an osc server?)
running in jhbuild. I saw chatter about this, but did anybody
actually make it available?

- Bert -