[sugar] Issue: Activities do not start

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg
Sun Jun 3 19:10:18 EDT 2007

Ryan Pavlik wrote:
> Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>> Ryan Pavlik wrote:
>>> Hello!  I've run a sugar-jhbuild, and with a work-around hack to get
>>> around my previous problem, I can now run the sugar desktop.
>>> However, when I click to start an activity, it will show up in the
>>> ring for a little while (a few seconds) then disappear, never
>>> starting fully.  Here is a complete log of a sugar session in which
>>> I try to start the Write activity: presumably the interesting stuff
>>> is at the end.  (I'm on AMD64 if that makes a difference, Ubuntu
>>> Feisty)
>>>
>>> I am wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this issue, or
>>> if it is a problem in the source.  (and if so, if it's easy enough
>>> for me to fix).  Thanks for your help!
>>>

>> Can you open the developer console?
>> If so please try to run "sugar-activity write" inside a terminal in
>> the developer console and see the output.
>>
>> Marco
>>
> I tried to copy and paste, but couldn't.  I do see, however, a
> traceback in sugar-activity, with the same error as when starting
> sugar (signed int is greater than maximum), apparently in
> /build/lib/python-2.4/site-packages/sugar/graphics/combobox.py.
> Replacing the sys.maxint there with 0x7fffffff lets the activity
> start, but there are some visual errors - the activity does not fill
> the entire screen but rather shows around 100-200 pixels (estimate) on
> the right side of the activity, and about 7/8ths of the entire screen
> below the activity.  Now when I start Sugar, a small (~100x200) box
> appears in the upper-left corner covering some of the frame icons: I
> presume this is the autostarting journal activity.

That's because matchbox is not starting... And I *think* it's another 64
bit specific bug.

It would be useful if you could try something like:

[marco at localhost sugar-jhbuild]$ ./sugar-jhbuild shell
[marco at localhost sugar-jhbuild]$ Xephyr :2 -ac &
[1] 14232
[marco at localhost sugar-jhbuild]$ DISPLAY=:2 matchbox-window-manager

And report the output. Also if you get a segfault, it would be good to
run matchbox-window-manager under gdb and get a stack trace.

Thanks!

Marco