[sugar] [laptop-accessibility] Automated testing of activities

Fernando H. F. Botelho my.lists
Wed Jul 18 10:57:23 EDT 2007

Just 2 cents on localization and textless environments etc.

I cannot answer all your questions but a few comments might help with some.

If sound-based icons can be used, brief sounds that identify an item might
allow you to avoid using words. Having said that, a blind kid can easily
learn a few words in English or any other language in order to identify
icons, the same blind kid can get used to an English or Spanish or any other
language synthesizer mangling his own language if that's all what is
available.  eSpeak and others are just not going to have all the languages
you need, although I hear it is not that difficult to add languages. You
just need to mobilize local contacts to help you.

Compared to the end users of these laptops I am a rich blind Westerner and I
listen to Portuguese texts with an English synthesizer on a daily basis
because it is just faster when working with multiple languages.

What I am trying to say, even if not very eloquently, is: Please give blind
kids the ability to listen to text on their screens.  Compared to nothing, a
screen reader that pronounces things poorly, does not give access to drawing
programs, and occasionally crashes, is paradise.

Just being abel to read and write on a txt editor, and read whatever the
browser shows and lick on links will be revolutionary for them.  If an
adaptation of Orca, LSR, Gnoppernicus, or creating something from scratch is
best, I do not know, but please figure something out guys.

It is certainly a bit late in the game to be talking about this, but hey, we
are talking.  The end result will almost certainly not be at par with the
quality of the rest of the system, given the tight deadlines you correctly
highlight, but what else is new.  The disabled have been dealing with being
a lower priority since the beginning of time.

Please, do not let your high software development standards prevent
something simple that speaks and magnifies from being shipped.

Finally, this is not a criticism of you guys as I consider it a failure of
many.  Just like I failed to get through to the right people earlier when it
would have been easier. Large well funded organizations that focus on
blindness apparently also failed or never tried.