[sugar] Adding 'Collaboration' to an activity

Dan Williams dcbw
Mon Jul 23 01:42:18 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 17:48 -0400, Julius B. Lucks wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I am working on Kuku Anakula (Hungry Chicken), which is an educational
> quiz game for the XO (see wiki.laptop.org/go/Kuku).  In the game, a
> quiz question is posed in the upper left corner of the screen.  The
> player (a chicken) moves around a grid, with each grid square
> containing a possible answer.  The goal is for the player to move to
> and 'eat' the correct answers for the posed questions.
>

> Currently, Kuku is only a one-player game.  We would like to expand to
> multiple players on expanded grids - either in competition with each
> other, or working together to progress through the quiz questions.
> Kuku is written in pygame.
>

> Is there a standard way for activities to implement collaborative
> elements such as this?  Are their standard API's for exchanging data
> between XO's?

Yeah, it's called "Tubes" and is an extension of the D-Bus IPC system
into a networked environment.  It's more complicated than it needs to be
right now, but it works and a few activities (memory, connect4) have
already done it.  Take a look at:

http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=projects/connect-activity;a=summary
http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=projects/memorygame;a=summary

The simplest example is: