[sugar] Running pygame activity with sugar-jhbuild

julius at younglucks.com julius
Wed Jul 11 13:26:32 EDT 2007

I am trying to run an activity which requires pygame with
sugar-jhbuild.  Since pygame is not included in sugar-jhbuild, I
installed it in /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages, and added this path
to my PYTHONPATH variable once I was in my sugar developer console.  I
can now import pygame, but I seem to be getting some sort of conflict
between my distro's python packages and sugar-jhbuid's.

For example, when I try to launch an activity, I get a traceback that
ends with

File
"/home/jblucks/olpc/sugar-jhbuild/build/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/_expat_introspect_parser.py", line 22, in
<module>
   from xml.parsers.expat import ExpatError, ParserCreate
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site'packages/_xmlplus/parsers/expat.py",
line 4, in <module>
   from pyexpat import *
ImportError:
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_xmlplus/parsers/pyexpat.so:
undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_Decode

Any idea what this could mean?  Is there anyway to set the PYTHONPATH
so that I only add pygame and its dependencies, and not the rest so as
to remove conficts?

Thanks,

Julius