[sugar] GComprisXO progress

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin
Sun Jul 1 07:59:25 EDT 2007

GCompriXO is a development branch of GCompris which focuses on Sugar
integration. Once complete, it will be the base of all future
development in GCompris.

Currently, there as been two major changes in GCompris related to the
XO:
- we removed libsdl_mixer as our audio backend and replaced it by
  gstreamer (already in gcompris trunk).
- Screen size Independence. We rely on the scaling feature of the gnome
  canvas to size our window to the user screen. We no more use xvidmode.
  There is a drawback in term of quality, moving to svg should help but
  currently the gnome canvas and our code does not use the svg native
  scaling feature.
- changed the way we organize activities in our code. Now each activity
  has its own directory. This makes it easy to package independent
  activity instead of having a big GCompris that contains all of them.

To test it:
svn co svn+ssh://bcoudoin at svn.gnome.org/svn/gcompris/branches/gcomprixo
gcomprixo
cd gcomprixo
sh autogen.sh --disable-sqlite && make

To test one acytivity:
cd src/fifteen-activity/
./runit.sh

To create an independant 'bundle' (not at the sugar standard yet)
tar -cvhzf wordprocessor-activity.tgz wordprocessor-activity/
--exclude .svn --exclude wordprocessor-activity/resources/skins/babytoy/

If you want translations, you can run a make install to have them
installed in /usr/local/share/locale and then in an activity directory
do:
ln -s /usr/local/share/locale/ .
./runit.sh (and it's translated)

What's left to do:
- add missing makefiles to make full GCompris installation to work as
  before
- sound support is broken

The most important for sugar:
- sugarize gcompris binary. On this one, I need help. I have seen that
  we need to have dbus support. I could not find documentation on that
  point, can someone point me on the right direction.
- add a make sugarbundle to create on the fly bundles for sugar
- add a way to build the sugar activity.info file
- add a sugar compliant svg icon

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net Free educational software for kids