[sugar] Re: Etoys git size

Bert Freudenberg bert
Tue Jan 23 09:04:10 EST 2007

Am Jan 23, 2007 um 2:36  schrieb Joshua N Pritikin:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 06:12:22PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>> I don't understand. Why do you expect subversion to be better?
>>
>> Because subversion does not download all versions since the beginning
>> of time, when you actually only need the latest one to build.
>
> Perhaps, but it still stores all the versions since the beginning of
> time somewhere--presumably on the server--so that just confines the
> problem to one machine instead of all distributed copies.

Right. That is the most sensible way to do it, IMHO. *Storing* a few
gigabytes is no problem at all, giving people random access to it is
also fine. The problem is *transmitting* those gigabytes to everyone
who just needs a small fraction of it.

>>> If so, why do you need to store its history? Why not store it
>>> outside of GIT?
>>
>> Putting the image (and the example projects) in a different place
>> would make sense - hence my inquiry for a subversion repository.
>
> What I meant to suggest is to store it outside any version control
> system. Place it somewhere wget accessible and you're done.

Then I would have to manage the image versions manually. That's
exactly what a version control system is for.

- Bert -