[sugar] A special linux distribution for developing OLPC applications

Bryan Berry bryanbryanb
Thu Jan 4 11:20:40 EST 2007

Hey guys, we are thinking of building a new linux distribution pre-configured w/ all of the development tools for Sugar and Squeak.  The reason for this is that it is fairly complicated to set up Sugar-jhbuild from scratch and download all the development tools and documentation.  Complicating this picture, broadband isn't a reality for most developers where we are (Nepal).  Building sugar-jhbuild from scratch will take days across a 56K line.

We have alot of talented open-source developers here in Nepal that are very interested in contributing to OLPC.  We can't give everyone of them an XO but at least we can help them started on their existing hardware.  We envision that people all over the world could use this distro for Sugar applications development.   We even would like to eventually build in tools for that non-technical people, such as teachers, could use the distro to create learning materials.

We intend to hand out CDs of the distro at FOSS meetings and computer science Departments.

Does anyone know if a similar tool exists?  We would like to avoid duplicating the efforts of others.

Here is the basic description of what we have in mind
http://wiki.olpcnepal.org/index.php?title=Make_A_Distro

We intend to use Ubuntu 6.10 and subsequent Ubuntu releases.  We don't want to get into the business of patch management.

Let me know what you think.

Tentatively we are thinking of calling it XO-Buntu (ZO-buntu) or Saraswati after the Hindu goddess of knowledge

Bryan Berry
OLPC Nepal
wiki.olpcnepal.org

http://mail.yahoo.com