[sugar] binary file in tamtam.git

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin
Mon Feb 26 22:53:08 EST 2007

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 12:34:46PM -0500, James Bergstra wrote:
> Yes, it is generated from aclient.cpp, using the Makefile in the same directory.
> It is included in the git repository because in effect, aclient.so depends on
> several packages that are not installed by default on the OLPC (gcc, for
> example).  Since, it is not generally possible to generate aclient.so from
> aclient.cpp on the olpc when we install the activity, I put it in git.

What about abiword? Should all the binary *.o files be stored in GIT as
well? I urge you to rethink your compilation strategy. Binary files have
no business being in GIT. You are just wasting the disk space of
everybody who clones your repository. If you want to keep precompiled
binaries somewhere (similar to the squeak/etoys image) then please keep
them outside of GIT. Anywhere wget accessible is fine. Abiword already
requires a C compiler so anybody using jhbuild will not have any
difficulty recreating your *.so files.