[sugar] A philosophical question

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg
Mon Feb 26 08:19:26 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 21:29 -0500, Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
> Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:

> >> +1.  Especially since this is precisely what Sugar users end up
> >> replicating -- the hard way.  I'm building Sugar in its entirety, every
> >> day, and whenever I find a build that "works", I use it for a while.
> >>
> >> Requires some additional overhead to determine what Sugar builds are
> >> stable, of course -- and when you're moving rapidly in HEAD, that can be
> >> difficult.
> >>
> We (an unknown number at the moment) are going to be sprinting on OLPC
> at PyCon for the next 4 days (give or take).  One of our top priorities
> is trying to implement this scheme for sugar-jhbuild so that we can make
> it possible for new developers to get started.
>
> Any suggestions on where to look for how the system works or where we
> would put our fingers to get it working.  The key issues being "how do
> we alter sugar-jhbuild to build a particular version of a sub-project?"
> and "what versions should we start with to get a working version"  (i.e.
> can someone who has a working build look at the versions and do the
> equivalent of "svn info" to let us know the versions to start with).

I would use the stable versions of the modules, where possible. Either
using tarballs or vcs revisions.

Just patch this file:

sugar-jhbuild/build-scripts/sugar-base.modules

I don't think there is documentation about the format. Have a look to
sugar-jhbuild/build-scripts/jhbuild/modulesets, it should be easy to
guess.

Marco