[sugar] Reloading Python code

Bert Freudenberg bert
Mon Feb 26 05:08:17 EST 2007

On Feb 26, 2007, at 2:44 , Andrew Clunis wrote:

> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Develop
>
> I think that the idea of program instances being mutable is pretty
> cool stuff.
> [...]
> How would you guys envision implementing this in a graphical
> development environment?

IMHO this largely depends on your target audience. If your users
needs to use all the cool features of "free-style" Python development
then you are doomed IDE-wise. You cannot provide much more than a
text editor, pretty much like the Develop activity looks right now.
Of course, this exposes the concept of source code in files (*)
whereas one of the stated goals of Sugar and its Journal is to *not*
have to deal with files.

OTOH, if you restrict the environment to defining classes and
methods, those could be presented in a browser-like manner, be
modified interactively, get stored in files behind the scenes, etc.
I'm pretty sure that could work, and even go pretty far. You could
also flip an "advanced" button that lets you get out of that
restricted environment and do all things imaginable, although
integrating that back with the graphical solution might be hairy, if
not impossible.

- Bert -

(*) "I mean, source code in files; how quaint, how seventies!" --
Kent Beck