[sugar] activity sharing protocol

J.M. Maurer uwog
Wed Feb 21 16:49:14 EST 2007

> OK, we have been saying to activity authors that just getting ip/port
> from the presence service would have worked so far. I guess we need to
> reconsider.
>
> I have two use cases in mind here:
>
> 1 Abiword collaboration
> 2 Develop activity using bazaar for code sharing.
>
> About 1 I suppose maybe making abi collab use telepathy could be a win
> for the desktop version too?;) 2 is more like a legacy issue...
>
> I'd really like uwog and orospark to comment directly on this!

The whole idea of the AbiWord collaboration plugin rewrite[1] was that
it could use different backends without imposing any restrictions on how
data communication or presence handling would be done.

So any backend that 1) I can use from C or C++ and 2) which will give me
some kind of send() recv() equivalent (in the broadest sense of the
word) will do. Bonus points if it can integrate into the glib main loop
(this is not required at all, just convenient!) and if it can pass
presence information in any way which I can use from C or C++.

A telepathy backend will be on my TODO list as soon as someone pokes me
telling the API is stable (sortof). I'd like to start implementing this
rather sooner than later, because as always with abstractions, I'm not
100% sure my idea of how this will all work matches other peoples
ideas :) I think it will though by having talked to some of the
telepathy guys.

Cheers,
  Marc

[1] http://uwog.net/news/?p=51