[sugar] collaboration, technical means?

Ryan Pavlik abiryan
Fri Feb 2 15:00:58 EST 2007

Ivan Krsti? wrote:
> Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
>
>> Technically, what is the means for collaboration? VNC?
>>

> How do you mean?

AbiWord has a custom collaboration system (AbiCollab) developed by the
finest AbiWord hackers and which will be featured on all platforms (with
some UI luck) in the next major release.  It is my understanding that
OLPC will use a specific backend (TCP instead of Jabber, but I may not
know what I'm talking about) for word processor collaboration.  Based on
my experience within the AbiWord project, it seems as though
collaboration may be the responsibility of each activity, rather than
any sort of all-encompassing system.  I'm guessing that UI concerns,
useability, and bandwidth would preclude the use of VNC as "cheap and
easy" collaboration, and certainly better methods are technologically
possible.

Ryan

--
Ryan Pavlik
AbiWord Win32 Platform Maintainer, Art Lead: www.abisource.com

"Optimism is the father that leads to achievement."
 -- Helen Keller

"The folder structure in a modern Linux distribution such as Ubuntu
was largely inspired by the original UNIX foundations that were
created by men with large beards and sensible jumpers."
 -- Jono Bacon, The Ubuntu Guide