[sugar] OLPC emulation

Matt Price matt.price
Sat Dec 29 10:29:38 EST 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 06:42 -0600, Steve Kay wrote:
> I am a 58 yr old IT professional who can not seem to master LINUX. I
> have figured out Commodore assembly through  MS VISTA but for the life
> of me can not seem to get the syntax correct in LINUX. All I want to
> do is give my son an IBM T41 emulating  "SUGAR"/XOXO  that I have
> running on KUBUNTU to make the G1G1 a better experience for his
> children when it arrives.

i would definitely advise against trying to use the standard emulation
images, as they take some work to get running.  I would advise instead
either building from source using sugar-jhbuild or installing the sugar
and activity packages from jani's personal archive.

try the second option first, following the instruuctions found here:
http://janimo.blogspot.com/2007/11/try-sugar-xo-laptops-interface.html
and here:
https://edge.launchpad.net/~jani/+archive

if that doesn't seem to work for you, you can build sugar yourself
without too much trouble; in a terminal first execute the following:
sudo apt-get remove sugar
sudo apt-get build-dep sugar

then follow the build instructions from the olpc website:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_on_Ubuntu_Linux
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_with_sugar-jhbuild

you may need to apt-get install git to get things started.

email back if you have trouble.  good luck,

matt