[sugar] Playing with IDEs

Bernardo Innocenti bernie
Tue Dec 25 15:58:44 EST 2007

Jeffrey Kesselman wrote:

> Think VERY carefully about his.  Your opening up a world of potential
> hurt for 2D game developers and similar kinds of apps.

I designed a few 2D arcade games myself and I've found that it
only takes a minimal amount of thought to make them properly
scale within a reasonable range or resolutions.

PC games had the requirement of supporting multiple resolutions
since the MS-DOS era.  Today Cairo makes it super easy.

And even if a very peculiar 2D bitmap game couldn't be made
to scale easily, this is not a good excuse for all the rest
of the activities to lazily hardcode screen coordinates and
font sizes instead of computing them based on their window size.

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/