[sugar] Booting to text mode

Albert Cahalan acahalan
Fri Dec 21 00:50:58 EST 2007

Paul Kippes writes:

> How can I prevent the OLPC from attempting to start the GUI and just
> dump me into the root prompt or login?  I have no abilities to run
> terminal since it is failing to start the X server and forever is
> looping trying to do so.

Arrrrgh!!!!!

I reported this bug ages ago. It was supposedly even fixed.
Now it comes back and hurts people.

The only justification I ever heard for this awful behavior
is that some developers are abusing Alt-Ctrl-Backspace to
restart sugar. This isn't enough justification for a bug that
makes systems damn near impossible to fix.

What if this guy still has security enabled? Is he going to
have to wait for a fresh new signed OS image? Even if that
does the job, it looks like a horrible price to pay.

It's not even hard to restart sugar without Alt-Ctrl-Backspace.