[sugar] activity's access to usb and sd card paths?

Bert Freudenberg bert
Wed Dec 12 11:44:58 EST 2007

On Dec 12, 2007, at 2:15 , Michael Stone wrote:

> Erik,
>
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 01:06:58PM -0500, Erik Blankinship wrote:
>> I would like to provide the option to save large media files to
>> external
>> storage devices.
>
> Excellent.
>
>> Is there any security or rainbow restriction from writing to
>> /media/connectedDevice?
>
> When activity permissions info becomes required, there will be a flag
> that grants access to removable mass-storage devices (or maybe just to
> the USB/SD devices? not sure). At that time, you'll need to specify
> this
> flag in order to keep your feature working, however, this is a
> post-Update.1 feature.
>
>> Is there a better path to use than that?
>
> You might be able to get a better path from HAL.
>
>> Is there anything activity authors should consider about how the
>> Journal
>> treats these media?
>
> Mainly to be aware that the current DS implementation copies data
> to-and-from the removable media. [I think.]

Actually - you can query the datastore for its mounts where any USB
drive will show up. Then you can give a mount point when checking a
file into the datastore, which would create the file on the USB drive.

If this does not work for your use case, the datastore API will have
to be extended.

- Bert -