[sugar] The futur of the mesh view

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Tue Dec 4 17:06:06 EST 2007

> When thinking about visualizing tons of nodes in a small screen, one
> idea that comes to mind is something like a fish-eye view that magnifies
> over the mouse pointer. A simple demo of what I 'm talking about can be
> found in the following link. That is based on Flash, but I'm sure that
> similar algorithms can be used with SVG too (although I'm not sure of
> the CPU costs of this).

We did consider the idea of a hyperbolic lens early on, but dropped it
both because the scaling interfered with the idea of the zoom levels
and, more importantly, because we were informed that dynamic scaling
of the sprites simply isn't practical on the hardware.  It's a nice
approach for many applications, though.

- Eben