[sugar] Draft Schedule for Update.1.

Jim Gettys jg
Tue Dec 4 15:03:07 EST 2007

The need for Ship.2 interrupted buttoning down Update.1.  So here's a
revamped schedule for comment.  Note if we have blockers open for the
release we will not release until either we've fixed the blockers (or
revisit the functionality).

The build Tzar for Update.1 will be Dennis Gilmore.

Note that we are working increasingly hard on keeping schedule and
contents of releases, major fixes and goals of releases in the roadmap
in trac, found at: http://dev.laptop.org/roadmap. You should refer to
that whenever you have questions or issues.

Schedule (currently tentative, not yet ratified). These dates need
coordination with Quanta and subject to change.:

      * String Freeze (for translations): 12/8/07
      * Code Freeze: 12/15/07
      * Refresh packages to pick up translations 12/19/07
      * First Candidate Release (RC1): 12/21/07
      * Second Candidate Release (RC2): 1/4/08
      * Release of Update.1: 1/11/08
      * Quanta manufacturing start: 1/21/08

Since previous releases, we now have an active and growing community of
translators working hard. If you look at the projects in
https://dev.laptop.org/translate/ you will see serious work to translate
the UI using Pootle thanks to the hard work of Sayamindu Dasgupta and
Xavier Alvarez with help from Alfonso de la Guarda. For translations to
be coordinated we need to add some dates to the schedule; for UI
elements to be translated, and a chance to update activities to pull in
translations after string freeze.  Note that activity developers should
only be fixing key bugs from code freeze until when we'd like updated
activities with translations.

Comments?  Issues? Concerns?
                                Thanks for all your help!
                                   - Jim Gettys