[sugar] How to try TamTam - noob questions (sorry!)

imm ian
Tue Aug 28 13:50:01 EDT 2007

> On 25 Aug 2007, at 17:26, Nathana?lL?caud? wrote:
>
>> I have the exact same problem with TamTam in jhbuild.  It used to
>> work fine a
>> few weeks ago, but there was an update to alsalib and it partly
>> broke the sound
>> output in TamTam.  Our engine guy fixed it on the XO but it still
>> doesn't work
>> fine in jhbuild.  I'll try to bug him again about the issue.

Well, now I've got sugar running reliably on a third box, I've been
trying TamTam-37.xo on all three for comparison. All the boxes have
different hardware, just to complicate matters, but here's what I find.

On the lowest spec box: TamTam runs, without spurious clicking. You
can quit and restart TamTam succesfully. The latency playing notes on
the keyboard is pretty bad.

On the "middle" box: TamTam runs, but there is constant buzzing when
it is active. Keyboard latency seems maybe too sluggish to be playable?
If you terminate TamTam, the process does not exit and has to be
killed from a shell. You can not restart TamTam unless you exit sugar
then restart it. If you try and access the TamTam.log from the
developer console, sugar hangs up, with the sugar-console process
totally maxed out...

On my "best" box: Very similar to the "middle" box case, except that
the keyboard latency is more acceptable.

On all three platforms, if you hold a key down for several seconds,
the sound starts warbling and becomes distorted. really does sound
like buffer overrun problems, I think.

Is there somewhere I can get at the parameters used to set Csound's
buffer sizes in TamTam and "tweak" them for my hardware?

--
Ian