[sugar] Sharing data between activities.

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Fri Aug 24 06:51:52 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 11:40 +0100, Carlos Neves wrote:
> Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> > On 8/24/07, Carlos Neves <cn at sueste.net> wrote:
> >
> >> - The images bundled are art done by kids on the MaMaMedia site.
> They
> >> are examples and can be trimmed down considerably, but they are
> also
> >> reasons to be proud for the kids that did them, so I guess that if
> we
> >> can keep the whole bunch, we will.
> >>

> > Installing a bunch of example images with the activity bundle sounds
> > like a really bad idea to me, given our space limitation
> > (independently from the fact that you want them share between
> multiple
> > activities). Why don't we just make these available separately, as a
> > content bundle (.xol)? That way kids can install and uninstall these
> > when they want through the journal.
> >
> > Marco
> >

> Well, that is by far the best idea I've heard on the shared content
> issue! So I could provide the data as a separate bundle and kids use it
> from the Journal. And, if I can get my way with tagging and listing
> stuff from the datastore programatically I can even keep the categorized
> view in the activities...

I think you'll be able to invoke a method in the journal or shell
through dbus that will popup a window with the list of objects in the
journal. You could set the initial query parameters (file type, tags,
etc.) and the user will select whatever object he wants and then your
activity will be able to retrieve that object.

This approach should give you what you want while retaining security and
privacy. Do you agree?

What I don't know yet is what happens when the user installs a .xol. Is
it autoexpanded and new objects are created in the journal from its
contents?

Tomeu